Italia 2012

Italia 2012
Roman Colosseum & Ruins. Rome, Italy

Cycling on Hvar Island, Croatia

WELCOME!

Hi, welcome to my blog. This is the place where I often retreat to share reflections, thoughts, opinions, & rants...links, movie recommends & photos! Feel free to add your thoughts and opinions.


"Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired."
Mother Teresa

Friday, January 27, 2012

A Laughter and Smile

We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do.

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mother_teresa.html#ZKKyq4uLugyvslqF.99



The Oxford American Dictionaries defines laugh as:

laugh |laf|
verb [ intrans. ]
make the spontaneous sounds and movements of the face and body that are the instinctive expressions of lively amusement and sometimes also of contempt or derision : she couldn't help laughing at his jokes | he laughed out loud | [with direct speech ] she laughed, “Not a chance.”

laughter as:
Laughter |ˈlaftər| noun the action or sound of laughing : he roared with laughter.

smile |smīl|
verb [ intrans. ]
form one's features into a pleased, kind, or amused expression, typically with the corners of the mouth turned up and the front teeth exposed : she was smiling

It has been said that laughter is the language of the world.  No matter what culture, religion, creed, race, or ethnicity, laughter is a common expression that crosses all differences.

Laughter is a therapeutic mechanism that not only at once is joyful but also, simple and on many levels, effortless.  Closely related to its cousin, smile, it doesn't take a genius to know that laughter can heal wounds, bring light to a situation, diffuse a heated moment and be calming and soothing.  At its best, laughter can cause one to undergo a serious ab workout and release the tear ducts to the effect of Niagara Falls!

Laughter brings me joy and its what inspired this blog entry today.  I love when I see people smile and together with laughter, it seems like you can forget the world and enjoy that immense and satisfying moment.  Either laughing myself or hearing another's laughter evokes comfort and assurance.  I feel peaceful when someone's genuine smile and laughter are expressed in the moments of daily living.  Something so simple and quite effortless can have a magnifying effect on those we interact with and encounter.

A smile can cause rejuvenating ripples in one's life and transform their mood on any given day.  Laughter is contagious and can seriously cause a hardcore following!  Haha.  It's fun, attractive and alluring.  Who wouldn't want to laugh and bust a smile?  Hmm, those serious types?  Well, everyone I dare say, needs to feel the comfort that comes from being the recipient or giver of smiles or laughter.

This may be selfish to say, but one of the greatest gifts we can have on this earth is a genuine and warm smile.  It's touching to my core.  It represents beauty and serenity.  Laughter is a hidden gem only in that we can choose to initiate laughter through our words, thoughts and actions or engage in receiving it.  Either way, the benefits of such a state are endless.

I went for a massage today and I always enjoy the conversations I have with my awesome, RMT (Registered Massage Therapist) and of course, she helps my overworked body to heal by getting all the kinks and knots out (for which I am very grateful) but I just always find myself enjoying her laughter.  I feel that I find a lot of happiness in making people laugh and that at a young age, it became a natural part of my repertoire of interacting with people ~ it feels natural, almost effortless and fun.  At the same time, I must confess that I also really appreciate when people make me laugh too!  It's fun to be the tease of a joke.  I can't explain why but that's been my life story and I'm convinced that there's a permanent label on my forehead that reads: Please Tease! (haha).  Making people laugh and laughing yourself can be very fun.  I highly recommend both!

Many of the simple things in life are  free and we don't have to look far for them.   Smile a little...or a lot.  Laugh often and laugh well.  I promise both will do you very well.

-S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me