Italia 2012

Italia 2012
Roman Colosseum & Ruins. Rome, Italy

Cycling on Hvar Island, Croatia

WELCOME!

Hi, welcome to my blog. This is the place where I often retreat to share reflections, thoughts, opinions, & rants...links, movie recommends & photos! Feel free to add your thoughts and opinions.


"Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired."
Mother Teresa

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Arc'teryx Bora 75 Pack




Arc'teryx Bora 75 Pack
In purchasing this travel pack I carefully considered and researched multiple ones on the market and consulted the advice of other fellow travellers. In the end, the decision to go with the Arc'teryx Bora 80 was based on my travel style, needs and comfort. Not everyone has the same preferences, needs or tastes so you'll have to find the "best" one that fully and uniquely compliments you.

Purchased: 2002

Survived: travel by boat, plane, train, car, rickshaw to Central America (Yucatan, Belize, Guatemala), China, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Western Europe (Portugal, Spain, UK, Austria, Germany, France, Italy, Sardinia), Morocco, and East Africa (Ethiopia, Tanzania).

Current condition: Excellent

Below is a list of what I feel is important when considering the best pack for you.
1. Fit
A good and comfortable fit is absolutely crucial in selecting the pack for you.
• My pack is specifically engineered and made for a woman's back with the metal backing being able to mould to the user's spine.
• adjustable shoulder harness that allows you to adjust the height of the shoulder pads to better fit your specific back length.

2. Comfort
Especially since I've had to carry my back walking, going up and down elevators, etc. it's important to have padded straps; hip belt (hipbelt is on a pivot system that follows the movement) and sternum straps to off-shoot a fine balance when wearing the pack

3. Accessibility
My pack includes 3 entry points: 1) top opened/closed by drawcord 2) bottom opened/closed wutg zipper and can become a separate part on its own with a drawstring to close off to the main bag; 3) side zipper that runs the length of the core part of the pack

4. Practicality
When I was in Spain and Sardinia, I went a little nuts with regards to the wine selection there and with their cheap wine prices. I must have carefully packed 6 bottles in my pack! There are also loops for a pair of ice axes or hiking poles.
• The top lid can detach and transform into waist pack

5. Durability
My pack has been chucked, smashed, squished, thrown and on planes, trains, boats, ferries, rickshaw, mini buses, buses, taxis, golf carts, trams, subways, & cars...10 years and counting. Tried. Tested. True.

6. Price Factor
I remember my Arc'teryx pack costing me just under $400. That can be viewed as pricey. However, here's the lowdown. It's been my ever constant and reliable companion since 2002. That's over a decade of reliability and durability for my style and kind of backpack travelling. Many years ago, I chose to put money into investing into a travel pack in place of a suitcase....I never regretted that choice.

Final word: Consider the above mentioned things and do a little research around a variety of packs.  Then try several on to see which gives you a good fit.  Some stores (ie., mec.ca) provide weights so that you can stuff your pack to get a "mock" feeling of putting the pack on and seeing how the fit feels.
Once that's all done, choose the one that best matches your needs. I don't think you can go wrong if you use that as the ultimate deciding factor.
Fast-forward to 2012 and here is the Arc'teryx Bora 80 updated, lighter and with a few upgraded changes such as hydration compatibility, etc.
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Packs/MultiDayExpedition/PRD~5012-991/arcteryx-bora-80-backpack.jsp?pdtTab=3
Arc'teryx
http://www.arcteryx.com/?EN

Happy Travels!
-S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me