Italia 2012

Italia 2012
Roman Colosseum & Ruins. Rome, Italy

Cycling on Hvar Island, Croatia

WELCOME!

Hi, welcome to my blog. This is the place where I often retreat to share reflections, thoughts, opinions, & rants...links, movie recommends & photos! Feel free to add your thoughts and opinions.


"Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired."
Mother Teresa

Friday, January 1, 2010

Serving on Christmas Night

A Humbling Evening...
"We are not called by God to do extraordinary things, but to do ordinary things with extraordinary love. "
Jean Vanier

This Christmas night marked the first time that I would not be celebrating the occasion with a big family feast. Instead, I decided to go with a few of my church mates to the Out of the Cold program down at a church on the Danforth and serve dinner to the homeless.

I hadn't been to the Out of the Cold program for ages. Basically, anyone who wishes to, may drop into the church, enjoy a nice hot dinner (squash soup, turkey, mashed potatoes & carrots with ice cream & holiday cookies!) & if they'd like, they could stay the night.

My friend, May and I were assigned to serve table #6. We got the evening meal and served our guests. They were very thankful and polite when receiving the food. For no reason that I can adequately express, I know that I felt deep joy in those moments of helping and serving...there's something very humbling about serving another...

A kind woman who I was conversing with [and hooking her up with the leftover uneaten dessert treats ~ I wrapped them nicely & put them in her plastic bag!] shared with me that "it really makes a difference with you all helping out." I couldn't help it but that brought a smile to my face.

I noticed that every guest that came into the church had either a backpack or two, or a plastic bag. The backpacks & the contents inside were probably ALL of their very possessions... everything that they own. They kept those packs near them & later set it down to secure a spot for their sleeping mat. Those of us who were volunteering would eventually finish up our work and head home to our warm homes. These people only had what was in their bags to live on...

Throughout the night, as I was watching and working, a whole bunch of thoughts were racing through my mind. [what's new?] I wondered in my head whether these guests had loved ones, any children, a partner, what were some of their stories, joys, hurts, hopes, wishes, & dreams? Unfortunately, due to the nature of the evening & the work that I was doing, I wasn't able to sit down to really engage in conversation with anyone too closely. In the end, despite each individual's life circumstance, our guests required food and shelter like we all do & they knew that they could go to Eastminister United Church and find the comforts of food, company & people, as well as shelter.

This exercise in service to others reminded me that it doesn't just have to be done during a special time of year but that serving food & the practice of hospitality can be done everyday. I pray that my eyes & heart would be more conscious & open to those opportunities. I think I'll consider going to serve in the OOTC more often.

After I finished serving, cleaning-up & handing out mats for the guest to sleep on, we all left...my friends went out for dinner @ Congee Queen & I had a date w/ Sherlock Holmes! Despite our lives moving on after a couple of hours of service & the guests satisfying their fatigue (probably walking around all day) resting in the warmth of the basement, I walked away profoundly touched and filled with compassion to serve others who are in need. I walked away feeling that I had contributed, if only a small fraction in helping to satisfy another's hunger, to serve food to another, & in a very real & meaningful way, connect with people just like you and me.

For more information, please visit:
Out of the Cold Program at Eastminister United Church

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."
Matthew 25:34-36

2 comments:

  1. great post to start the new year sophia! i like all the photos and descriptions you have down the right side column too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Grace! I enjoy posting in my blog b/c it feels like home where I can be expressive with my thoughts and feelings. Come often!

    ReplyDelete

About Me