Italia 2012

Italia 2012
Roman Colosseum & Ruins. Rome, Italy

Cycling on Hvar Island, Croatia

WELCOME!

Hi, welcome to my blog. This is the place where I often retreat to share reflections, thoughts, opinions, & rants...links, movie recommends & photos! Feel free to add your thoughts and opinions.


"Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired."
Mother Teresa

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Responding to a Need...

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered." Proverbs 21:13

Recently at church, our pastor had been preaching about what it means to be a neighbour.

Today I was given the opportunity to practice being a good neighbour and looking out for those in need & this is how it went:

As I was heading home from my Chiro. appt., I got off at Vic Park and started walking home with the intention of grabbing a coffee at Timmy's. As I was walking to the lights to cross the street, I noticed a homeless man standing in the middle median holding a placard with the word, "HUNGRY" and asking for money. At this point, I decreased the size of my paces and thought that I should go and ask the man if he wanted something warm to drink or something to eat. Since there were so many cars passing by, I said to myself, forget it. Then as I crossed the street, I thought to myself that there's a person in need, I ought to tend to him. Again, I saw so many cars that I felt that it would take more time just to cross and ask the man so I hesitated yet again. In my stream of consciousness, I was wrestling with the idea of whether or not I should ask him. Being apprehensive caused me to walk back and forth a couple of times. Then, I thought to myself, it's awfully cold outside and I should go and ask if he's hungry because after all, that's what the sign says! So, I finally crossed to the middle median and walked towards him. I told the man that I was going to Tim Hortons and asked if he wanted a coffee or something to eat...a donut? He hesitantly said, "no thanks"...but then as I turned he said, "o-okay then." "A medium coffee with cream and three sugars." I told him no problem and that I'd be right back. Off I zipped and I was back in a hurry with exactly what he had ordered: A medium coffee with three sugars! When I handed him the coffee, I said, "keep warm and God bless." He said the same thing along with many thank yous, which extended even as I crossed the street. He was very grateful. As I was walking home, I said a quick prayer for him.

My reflection upon the whole thing today was this: Today I was given the opportunity to be a good neighbour and I took it! There were a few moments there where I was tempted to be like many others...many people would just look beyond the homeless/poor people asking for money (I've done that myself before) but I realized in those few moments of hesitation, I remembered that I'm not like everyone else! I am who I am and I'm different ~ I belong to God! Today, I responded in love and I was able to joyfully serve a person in need and I'm really grateful for that moment.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!

    We have this 'speaker' at Friday fellowships at my church. He was talking about helping others for Jesus and God. He made everybody share what was our most memorable 'helping moment' I shared that I gave my leftover from dinner to a homeless man close by. It made me feel really really good! =)

    ReplyDelete

About Me