Italia 2012

Italia 2012
Roman Colosseum & Ruins. Rome, Italy

Cycling on Hvar Island, Croatia

WELCOME!

Hi, welcome to my blog. This is the place where I often retreat to share reflections, thoughts, opinions, & rants...links, movie recommends & photos! Feel free to add your thoughts and opinions.


"Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired."
Mother Teresa

Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Week that Was....

This week was a fantastic week at school. After a challenging 1st term, report card period, and interviews, my grade 5 students are showing me that not only do they have the ability to make consistently positive choices BUT that they can change & be better, not settling for anything less than their best!

This year's group of 24-25 students has been shall I say an interesting and challenging bunch. Although I only spend 1/2 the day with them, they require an influx of energy that ends up being very taxing on me. They are a group of unique, funny, & enjoyable children however the challenges are very evident. Academic performance & capabilities, attitude towards hard work and challenges, as well as being responsible for their own learning...these have all been things that we've taken a close microscopic look at this year so far...although at times, it looked like I was going to raise up the white flag of surrender however, what I preach to the kids, I must do myself...Don't give up!. I may be insane or maybe teaching is just my thing but although my students drive me up the wall & drive me crazy at the worst of times, I still find myself very devoted and caring towards each one of them. My passion in life is my work with children and all the students who I have the privilege of interacting with. So even when I feel like I'm down & out, I can still rise above because this calling has been given to me as a gift in life.

This week was a stellar week and each of my students showed glowingly how they can improve in their own way: Less interruptions, quicker transition time, less calling out, less put downs, being responsible to seek extra help when required, listening attentively, encouraging one another, trying more harder to break their negative habits (e.g., shouting out or talking so loudly), being more organized, etc... The season is still quite young however the urgency is very visibly here & as we continue to "prepare" the kids for an important transition year heading into middle school, we can't rest on our laurels, & trudge to a stagnating beat at our current plateau, but we must progress forwards, carefully, diligently, and ever aware that we have to work hard to constantly improve and to reach for all that potential that's within.

Here's hoping to bigger & better things to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me